Monday, October 20, 2008

Feedback

When I first began discussing the idea of continuing education for homeschooling parents, many felt that I was positing an "ivory tower" endeavor divorced from their everyday lives. Certainly the sheer size of Rushdoony's Institutes of Biblical Law convinced some that life was just too busy, and taking care of infants and children too time consuming to derive any present-time benefit.

I thought I would share some feedback from a young mother of two (ages 2 and 4)who has begun the mentoring program I've outlined. After every chapter read, we discuss it (via online chat) and then I "assign" the task of applying it to her everyday life. Here is what she reported:

I thought I would let you know that I am doing my homework. :-)

On Saturday, the kids were fighting over some toy, so I took it away from them. They asked me why I took it away and I responded angrily, "Because I don't like you fighting!" But then I remembered our chat and turned back to them and told them about how God says, "As far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men," and how God wants us to think more highly of each other than ourselves. So that is why they shouldn't fight over the toy, but should be happy to share with each other.

And today I was doing an exercise video and my daughter was standing behind me having a fit because she wanted a sippy cup and I had given her a "big girl" cup. I was tempted to keep exercising (so as not to let my heart rate go down) and just ignore her whining. But I remembered your earlier comment about how developing character is more important than academics (and, by implication, my waistline) so I paused the video and talked to my daughter about having a God-pleasing attitude.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Now I ask you: Would a paid day-care worker (no matter how pleasant and nice) be as invested in these children as their God-ordained mother whose responsibility it is to train her children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment