Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Friendly Fire

Years ago when I was new to the Christian faith, I was resolute that I needed to be direct and forthright with people when I saw an area of life they were not living according to Biblical standards. At the time I was sure that I was doing the Lord’s work well by pointing out the failings of my fellow man. Later I came to realize that my zeal for the truth was entangled with areas of sin in my own life that needed sanctification.

Over time, I have seen the aftermath of much of my enthusiasm and in many cases, it is not a pretty picture. Instead of showing the patient love of Christ as I talked to people, I wanted to impress them by demonstrating my knowledge of orthodoxy. In other words, my focus was seriously misplaced and often had a detrimental effect.

I remember hearing Dr. Rushdoony answer questions at the end of a talk he gave not long before his death. He was on the platform with two other speakers. Someone asked a question that involved the difficult situation of children being taken from their parents by social workers when it was determined the parents had neglected their children. The other men answered first. Both gave somewhat polarizing answers that left little room for disagreement. When it was Dr. Rushdoony’s turn, he gave a thoroughly orthodox answer but without the divisive tone of the other men. His answer drove his listeners to greater faithfulness to the Scriptures and did not create unnecessary enmity.

Often when Christians embrace a greater understanding of the faith they fail to abstain from firing verbal shots at their brothers and sisters in Christ who seem to lag behind them in knowledge. Many seem to make it a sport, as though they have served the Kingdom by shooting at their listeners. Instead of finding a way to kindly share a point of view, they relish the opportunity to say something theologically biting to demonstrate their greater knowledge and understanding.

Let us never forget that whatsoever we do to Christ’s brethren, we do to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment