Friday, November 17, 2006

Working Moms

I like homeschool moms. I realize that for those who know me, this is not earth-shattering news. But, the more time I spend with fellow homeschooling moms who are pouring their lives into their children, the more I realize that God's blessing is evident in Christian homeschooling!

Today I had the opportunity to visit an ongoing ministry that I began five years ago and turned over the reins of this past spring. The Coram Deo Chorus grew out of a desire I had to give my youngest daughter (the singer of the family) an opportunity to learn and develop her musical giftings. As it turned out, other families were interested in a similar program and were eager to join. God has an interesting sense of humor, as He had me (a non-musical, shower-singer), begin a children's choir. He worked out all the details to the point that I was able to get a young, enthusiastic college graduate with a love of music and the desire to work in her field who was willing to travel two hours each way on public transportation every Thursday in order to be my musical director. So not only was the choir an opportunity for my daughter to grow, but for this young woman, as well.

After four full and dynamic years, it became apparent to me that it was time for my daughter and me to move on. She had learned much in this environment, but needed more of a challenge musically. However I knew that God wanted me to have the ministry continue. I didn't have to look too far to find another homeschool mom willing to take the job I had created and filled as administrator. The music director has matured into a very competent and encouraging teacher, and now also has a Mrs. title in front of her name. And, she actually drives her own car now; the bus and train ride no longer part of her weekly trek. Not only that, but there are other moms still present week after week, willing to chip in and offer their time and expertise.

Today during my visit, I was gratified to see first-hand that the choir is in very good hands and many major improvements have been made. Just goes to show that none of us are indispensable! And that new blood often enhances an ongoing enterprise. I share this because it is important to re-state that homeschooling works because there are dedicated moms willing to make it work -- both in their own homes with their own families and in association with others. What's more, many of these women are willingly moving into the role of mentors for the younger moms who are new to homeschooling, and the camaraderie is amazing to witness.

It's nice to be a member of such an elite group! The future is very bright!!

No comments:

Post a Comment